Best News Stories & Information
- CARBON PRICE = BIRTH CREDIT = SEX SLAVE Soon to be ENFORCED BY LAW! ***Update Kevin Rudd followed me on twitter before he was PM again and Even Tony Abbott is kicking out this SCAM in Australia!!! good job eh...
- "I AM SAFE" LAW of the LAST CALL MANY TRUTHERS MAKE, THEN VANISH IN TO GESTAPO SECRET DETENTION
- "Daan" & "Kama" Morality in action The Diamond of the Mind, "Lightning Bolt"
- First RFID Remote Controlled Human Julia 16 Year Old Girl 1968 + TR-3B Documented in Australian.gov.au Document
- GOD TRACKED SCIENTIFICALLY "MORAL REALITY IS CLOSE"
- Undead Necromancy, Fraud = using Dead Body's in Contract, Incorporated
- 1381 Peasant Revolt "Hanging the Immoral from the Tower of London" to get EQUAL RIGHTS! John Ball "procure peace by dispatching out of the way the great men, there shall be an equality in liberty"
- Australian Government Quote : "To remain relevant and competitive in the NEW WORLD ORDER, innovative thinking is required" in official documentation .gov.au
- "Scientifically Proven DNA Insestual Inbred RULING IMMORAL ELITE Bloodline"
- Dec 25 Merry Zagmuk
- UNITED NATIONS & YOUR GOVERNMENT Reducing your MORALITY
- NWO NEW WORLD ORDER RESTORATION PLANS to RAPE YOUR VIRGIN CHILDREN FORCED BY BIRTH CREDIT SLAVERY LAW TO RESTORE Driot Du seigneur "Right of the First Night"
- Help the Dragons & Baby Dragons Fighting the New World Order
- Historic Breakdown of the Bloodlines Expansion "Masks and Agencies"
- Copyright GOD under UN law "authority to Speak"
- Historic Texts of the "5500yr MORAL WAR"
- Original Text's and Culture Creating the Terminology of the 5500yr MORAL WAR
- Scientific Meditation "Lower your Vibration is the Key to DMT Activation"
- Population Reduction TV Commercial
- Julia Gillard Australian PM Charged with Treason
- Laws of Treason "Advocating a Foreign Power or Takeover"
- Banks "The Origination of Method"
- BRIC Alliance, Brazil, Russia, India, China "Unite after 911 Coverup"
- The Awakening is based on Moral Knowledge to Escape the Systems Manipulation
Friday, September 4, 2009
US brain-plug interface gets live human trials
Telepathic mouse kit could jumpwire paralysed limbs
By Lewis Page • Get more from this author
Posted in Biology, 11th June 2009 09:33 GMT
Free whitepaper – PC-disable delivers intelligent client-side protection for lost or stolen notebooks
Boffins in America say that their new "neural interface" brain-plug equipment, intended to let users control computers and machinery merely by thinking, is about to embark on its second stage of clinical trials. The tech is intended initially to help patients suffering from paralysing illness or massive injuries, but has implications beyond the medical field.
The kit in question is called BrainGate, and is under development by neuroscience, engineering and computing boffins at Brown University in Rhode Island. It uses a grid of electrodes implanted beneath a user's skull into his or her motor cortex, linked to a "pedestal" assembly atop the cranium. At the moment, this is hooked up by a wired connection to the BrainGate computers which interpret the electrodes' readings from the motor cortex and "turn thought into action" - for instance by moving a cursor on a screen, or operating a cybernetic limb, or directing a motorised wheelchair.
Initial trials have already been carried out, according to the researchers, during which a lot was learned. However the tech is far from fully developed yet, and the second phase of trials - now beginning - is under an "investigational device exemption", meaning that the kit is still at the prototype stage and isn't certified as medically safe. Volunteers using it are acting as guinea pigs, or test pilots, as it were.
The BrainGate team has lofty goals. They note that wired connections are clumsy, and furthermore that the through-the-skin plug assembly presents a risk of infection - a rather serious one, as it penetrates not just the scalp but the skull and the protective meninges covering the brain.
Thus the team aim ultimately to design a fully internal, self-powered wireless brain implant to replace the present skull jack.
Even more impressively, they note that in many cases of paralysis - as opposed to amputation - a patient's limbs are still fully functional. They have simply been "disconnected" from the brain's motor centres by illness or damage to the nerves or spinal cord. The Brown researchers hope to find a way of using their cortical implant to send signals to other implants on undamaged nerves controlling paralysed limbs, effectively attaching jumper leads to bridge the broken nerve connections and restoring the brain's control over the relevant muscles.
In cases where the original limb is gone - the Brown scientists will be working with a lot of injured troops in this trial, as Rhode Island is home to a large US Veterans Administration research hospital - the BrainGate tech could furnish a much better and more instinctive means of controlling prosthetic limbs, powered wheelchairs etc.
Initially the tech will be strictly for medical uses, of course. But if it ever becomes truly safe and convenient to use, it isn't hard to imagine people choosing voluntarily to have a BrainGate interface implanted into their heads simply for convenience. It would confer abilities roughly equivalent to telepathy and clairvoyance right off, particularly if combined with some kind of feedback mechanism - video specs, perhaps, or an equivalent of BrainGate attached to the optic nerve instead. In a sufficiently wired and automated world, it would also be effectively telekinetic: unlocking doors, turning lights or machines on and off, handling computers etc.
Ultimately, people might choose to dispense with their flimsy, unreliable fleshy bodies and move instead to a more fulfilling and powerful life as chipped-up brains in bubbling jars - either moving around aboard robotic vehicles, or leading a vicarious existence via the future interwebs.
“We are entering a new age of neurotechnology," says John Donoghue, professor of neuroscience at Brown.